Posted by: jhare | 27 January, 2012

Update on headlining

Progress so far: templates for the saloon, fore cabin and aft cabin have been trialled in position and adjusted to fit where needed.

We were then ready for the next step: to apply the foam backed vinyl which I mentioned in the last headlining post. We went for a lightly textured white and bought a whole roll.

The glue (a contact adhesive) for sticking the foam to the plywood is particularly nasty stuff so we decided to make use of the workshop in Bickleigh which gave us space and better ventilation.

We decided to just do the saloon and fore cabin initially. The foam was delivered straight to Bickleigh. First of all the foam was cut roughly to size, the boards were wiped clean and left to dry.

foam cut to shape

The foam was cut roughly to shape each board

Then came the time for glueing. Due to the toxic nature of the glue, Joe did a majority of the glueing with all the doors open. I went in only to help position the boards in place on the foam. The glue was applied to the plywood with a spreader to help get it evenly coated. We then placed the board on top of the foam, keeping as much tension in the foam as we could to avoid bubbles.

Applying the contact adhesive

Once complete, the boards were left for a few days to set before trimming the edges and taking them back to the boat.

As said in the last post, the plywood that we were attaching the headlining to had also degraded. We didn’t want to reattach new ones with screws as they had when the boat was constructed and our first try with glue had failed after a few months.

So we decided to try CT-1, this might be overkill but we really don’t want to repeat this job! We held up the strips of ply with supports whilst the CT-1 cured (only took around 20mins) and then let it set over night before screwing into it.

props

We propped up the plywood strips whilst the CT1 set

Once this was complete we were finally ready to put up our new headlining. The result is amazing -it’s funny how you can live with something for so long! It’s made our saloon and fore cabin so much lighter and more comfortable, it just feels more ‘finished’!

Before the headlining goes up -you can see the plywood strips we have replaced where the headlining panels meet.

The completed fore cabin headlining!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: